The Orthopedic Trauma Clinic provides treatment for acute musculoskeletal injuries such as fractures, dislocations, and tendon ruptures with a high likelihood of requiring surgery.
This clinic allows ambulatory patients to see an orthopedic surgeon the next morning at a scheduled time rather than waiting in the ER (or being transferred from a rural ER) for the orthopedic surgeon to become available during the day, evening or night. We have set aside 90 minutes every weekday morning to accommodate these patients.
Patients must be referred by a physician through direct communication with an orthopedic surgeon.
How to refer:
- Contact the orthopedic surgeon on call. The surgeon will return your call as soon as possible, for discussion and triage of the case.
- Your patient will typically be seen the next morning. Our clinic runs from 7:30 am – 9:00 am. Your patient must arrive on time. This clinic is staffed by the orthopedic surgeon on call who may be in the OR all day starting at 9:00 am.
- You must fax a referral letter to 403-986-7258.
- Please include:
- Patient’s name
- Presumptive diagnosis
- Any relevant imaging
- Name of the referring practitioner
- Name of the orthopedic surgeon accepting the referral
- Trauma Clinic Patient Handout.pdf
- We will NOT contact your patient.
- Your patient should:
- Be NPO
- Bring a list of medications
- Wear clothing that will allow a physical examination of the affected body part
- Our clinic is located at the Skyway Medical Centre, across the street on the north side of the Red Deer Regional Hospital. Our address is Suite 300, 4309 - 52 Ave, Red Deer, Alberta, T4N 6S4. Patients will not have access to the clinic before 7:30 am.