In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Central Alberta Orthopedics will not allow any patients to be sent directly to any of our clinics, including trauma patients.
If you have a patient with an orthopedic trauma you would like us to assess, you must speak with the on call orthopedic surgeon who can be reached through the Red Deer Regional Hospital switchboard. You must fax the patient’s paperwork to our urgent fax number 403-986-7258. The patient will then be contacted and given an appointment.
Any patient presenting to Central Alberta Orthopedics without paperwork being sent and without an appointment will be turned away.
The Orthopedic Trauma Clinic provides treatment for acute musculoskeletal injuries such as fractures, dislocations, and tendon ruptures with a high likelihood of requiring surgery. We have a clinic every weekday (excluding stats).
This clinic allows ambulatory patients to see an orthopedic surgeon the next morning at a scheduled time rather than waiting in the ER (or being transferred from a rural ER) for the orthopedic surgeon to become available during the day, evening or night. We have set aside 90 minutes every weekday morning to accommodate these patients.
How to refer:
- Contact the orthopedic surgeon on call. The surgeon will return your call as soon as possible and will determine if your patient is appropriate for our trauma clinic.
- If accepted, tell your patient to come to our office at 7:30 am the next workday morning.
- If accepted, you must fax a referral letter to 403-986-7258.
- Please include:
- Patient’s name
- Presumptive diagnosis
- Name of the referring practitioner
- Name of the orthopedic surgeon accepting the referral
- You may use our Urgent Referral Form but if you do so, please ensure all necessary information is attached..
- Your patient should:
- Be on time - the surgeon may be needed in the OR and may not be available if your patient is late
- Be fasting from midnight
- Bring a list of medications
- Wear clothing that will allow a physical examination of the affected body part
- Our clinic is located at the Skyway Medical Centre, across the street on the north side of the Red Deer Regional Hospital. Our address is Suite 300, 4309 - 52 Ave, Red Deer, Alberta, T4N 6S4.